Wednesday, July 2, 2008

day 14

On becoming a wino:

No, I'm not becoming a raging alcoholic because I am home alone and distraught over my lack of workiness. Besides, in these tight times, we have cut all non-essentials out of our budget. That includes alcohol. Much to husband's dismay, we won't be buying any Guinness or Imperial Stout until I have a job again.

What that means though, is that over the weekend, (because I get so much of the crap work done during the week) we actually had time to chill and grill out saturday night. We always have chicken to eat since we raise them ourselves. So we did some grilling, and Larry brought up a bottle of wine. We aren't wine drinkers, but you know how when you invite folks over for a party or dinner, often they bring a bottle? They are all hiding out in our cellar, happy as can be. We break them out when we have company over...

But I guess sometimes you just want a drink. There's no beer in the fridge, but there's those wine bottles down stairs. Done. I guess those will have to do until we can afford beer money again. I sense we will finally eat all the weird things lurking in our cupboards, too... it's kind of nice to tighten our belts, since it is forcing us to put nothing to waste.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hmmm. Assuming you didn't empty the bottle, and based on what you said assuming you don't PLAN to empty the bottle in some food recipe in the near future, I'll make a small recommendation:

Make vinegar. yum.

Kirk