Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Day 8

Feeling kind of bummed again today. I keep waking up in the morning in a panic - because the sun is already out and I must be late to work. So my body still hasn't adjusted. I should be taking advantage, if I play my cards right, this could all be VERY VERY temporary.

Or maybe I am just procrastinating because I need to mow the lawn, and I hate mowing the lawn.

I do have a phone interview, that got postponed until tomorrow. So that's fine.

But I can't get over this one company I would really like to work for... a new solar panel company starting up in Longmont - from a project joint with CSU. It's where I want to be. How can I convince them? They have my resume, more than once. So now I sit and wait, and hope for a phone call.

2 comments:

Dana said...

there is an AMAZING book that has helped me every time i've tried to get a job called "Don't Send a Resume" by Jeffrey Fox. In fact, I used it this week! All of his books are useful- really gets you thinking in ways that are out of the ordinary but bring great results. Check it out.

Anonymous said...

First, good luck - both on the callback, and moreso on the other. Second, I've been pondering, and will toss an idle thought out.

Have you considered self-employment as a consulting engineer? In particular, identify what you have that you think the solar panel company really needs and building it around that?

Self employment sucks in a lot of ways. Being a consultant of any sort without a lot of years of experience is also really, really difficult. And yet, I know folk who've pulled it off at least enough to cover basic expenses if not plenty more. So I raise it as a consideration.

Besides, it's an alternate way to get your name in the door. Remember that a consultant doesn't go through HR. And if they know you might be willing to consider employment instead of contract then, well, the door's in place.

Kirk