Friday, August 15, 2008

I must decide today

It's almost 6 AM. I have until noon today to possibly renege on the offer I accepted at one company. Or not. If I turn them down, my other offer is still contingent on background checks, drug screen, and an ergonomic physical evaluation. Not that I think any of those things would screw me, but it's still a risk. And I put off getting paid another week or 2.

The jobs are different - manufacturing vs. quality. The companies are different -plastic medical devices vs. metal flow measuring equipment. The locations are different - Boulder vs. Fort Collins. The people are different - but almost everyone seemed nice. One company has a small company feel with a larger corporate ownership that seemed to stay out of the way. The other company is a formerly family owned company that is currently owned by a private equity firm and is on the block to be sold.

I like them both. The jobs are very different. The people are different. One of them has a 4.5 day work week, and man, for a chick who lives on a farm, that might just be the coup de grace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow. Based on what you just said I know which one I'd choose - the one that is not on the block to be sold.

New owners means new conditions - not necessarily immediately, but in the near future. "Streamlining" or improved efficiency; buyer's remorse; or even changes in policies and benefits can make radical changes in the job you thought you had.

On the other hand, I'm not there, and I'm sure there are a lot of other factors that balance these things.

Good luck, either way.